Sunday, May 02, 2010

May 3 - home stretch

I want to go home.  I really miss my family.  I'm bored out of my mind.  Well, I really did not come here on holiday.  I consider this trip already an awesome success.  But I'm homesick...  I just talked to my daughter over Skype.  That's why.  I was telling her that I was looking forward to the real vacation after my discharge.  I'll be visiting family for about a week or so before going home.  It also will break up the trip so that I don't travel halfway around the world in one go.  I don't think I have the stamina yet.
 
Well, of course, she wants me to go home straight away.  I told her I couldn't move my flights anymore.  Seems like a lame excuse even for me.
 
But I'm so ready to bust out of here!  I'm even tired of the food.  It's the same menu.  It's good but  I've been here about 3 weeks already.   Food outside is super salty.  It's difficult for me to go out since I always have meds.  Tomorrow is my last day of treatment then, I'll just wait for my flight (2 more days).  Then the adventure begins...
 
I met the patient 2 rooms down on the balcony.  She has ovarian cancer and has been on aggresive chemo for 2 years.  We have the same symptoms of neuropathy (numbness of extremeties), difficulty walking and control of hands (fine motor skills).  She's the only other patient I've ever met with these same problems.  Not that I'm happy she has them, it's just nice to have someone you can relate to.  Her symptoms are more pronounced though.  That could also be age-related.  She's older.  We traded ICU war stories. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hang in there, sounds like you'll be home soon enough!